How I do a top 30 isn't a generic top 30. I put on my scouting and GM hat on and pick the best player for where I think an organization is with their teams. Some teams draft BPA, some teams draft need.
1. Edmonton Oilers - Sean Couturier C (QMJHL) - Strong-two way player that will be the defensive conscience for Hall and Eberle.
2. Colorado Avalanche - Gabriel Landeskog LW/RW (OHL) - Size and strength with scoring ability will be a fine fit for Matt Duchene.
3. Florida Panthers - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins C (WHL) - With holes all over the forward corps, RNH is a good focal piece to start rebuilding the forwards.
4. New Jersey Devils - Adam Larsson D (Sweden) - A serious lack of depth D, Larsson is a good start for the Devils in rebuilding the defense.
5. New York Islanders - Dougie Hamilton D (OHL) - This was a tough call. Hamilton will be a nice compliment to Hamonic and DeHaan already in the system.
6. Ottawa Senators - Jonathan Huberdeau LW/C (QMJHL) - Winger help is what Ottawa could use. Huberdeau is a nice compliment to Spezza and Alfresson in the short term.
7. Winnipeg Thrashers - Mark McNeill C (WHL) - Winnipeg might be wise to trade down here, but McNeill is a missing piece that Winnipeg could desperately use. Two-way, tough.
8. Columbus Blue Jackets - Ryan Murphy D (OHL) - Puck moving Dman that has eluded Columbus for many years.
9. Boston Bruins - Ryan Strome C/W (OHL) - Bruins would be considered lucky to have Strome here. Offensive brilliance to go with the braun of the Bruins.
10. Minnesota Wild - Sven Bartschi LW (WHL) - The Wild need to find a way to score goals. This is a good place to start.
11. Colorado Avalanche - Duncan Siemens D (WHL) - Coloardo could use some phyisicality on the backend with some recent departures.
12. Carolina Hurricanes - Nicolas Beaulieu D (QMJHL) - Carolina needs to rebuild their backend. Slick Dman from the Q will help out with that.
13. Calgary Flames - Mika Zibanejad C (Sweden) - Flames have been looking for a center forever. Here's one that will fit the Flames mould.
14. Dallas Stars - Jamie Oleksiak D (NCAA) - Big defender could help Dallas out in their search for a top pairing Dman. Could be one of those Dmen solid at both ends of the rink.
15. New York Rangers - Joe Morrow D (WHL) - Morrow is everything they would have wanted Redden to be. Solid puck mover and smarts. Good player to build a defense around.
16. Buffalo Sabres - Mark Scheifele C (OHL) - Taller two-way center will fit nicly with the influx of mighty might forwards that have invaded Buffalo.
17. Montreal Canadians - Boone Jenner C (OHL) - Solid two-way center. Strength and size, two things the Habs are in the market for.
18. Chicago Blackhawks - Zack Phillips C (QMJHL) - Could make for a solid 2nd line center behind Toews for many years to come. Very crafty player.
19. Edmonton Oilers - Joel Armia RW (Finland) - Power forward type on a team that could desperately use strength on the wings.
20. Phoenix Coyotes - Tomas Jurco RW (QMJHL) - Phoenix is a team that could use more skill on the wings. Jurco is a good find here.
21. Ottawa Senators - Connor Murphy D (USA) - With Huberdeau in their back pocket, the Sens can afford to take a gamble on a player like Murphy. High upside here.
22. Anaheim Ducks - Vladislav Namestnikov C (OHL) - With Teemu Selanne at the end of his career, time for Anaheim to put back into the high end skill of things.
23. Pittsburgh Penguins - Brendan Saad LW (OHL) - With all those centers, this team is screaming for a big winger that can score.
24. Detroit Red Wings - Rickard Rackell LW (OHL) - Big Swede that plays in your face. Sounds like its right up the alley of the Red Wings.
25. Toronto Maple Leafs - Rocco Grimaldi C (USA) - A pick that could make the Leafs look like geniuses or buffoons. Pint-sized puck wizard to say the least.
26. Washington Capitals - Jonathan Miller C (USA) - Caps could use some center depth and one that has some two-way skills.
27. Tampa Bay Lightning - Phillip Danault LW (QMJHL) - A team that seems to be adept to finding good role players. They find another one here.
28. Toronto Maple Leafs - Jonas Brodin D (Sweden) - Slick puck moving Dman. Something the Leafs should definitely be looking for.
29. San Jose Sharks - John Gibson G (USA) - San Jose likes their big, butterfly goalies, so this is a pick that makes sense here.
30. Vancouver Canucks - Nicklas Jensen LW/RW (OHL) - Versatile forward that is a good fit for a team that is seemingly stacked everywhere.
31. Edmonton Oilers - Oscar Klefbom D (Sweden) - The wildcard pick. Could go 10th, could go 40th. Could develop into a solid two-way Dman or into a disaster in his own zone. I think well worth the gamble here.
Thats the rundown of the 2011 1st round. 'Til the next time.