Friday, March 1, 2013
Pre-Game: Game #20 Oilers vs. Blues
The game will be coming at us fast and furious now. Before we know it, it will be the half way point of this shortened season. The Oilers coming off a convincing 5-1 win against the Stars last night. That statement game they were looking for that eluded them in Chicago on Monday night, showed up last night. This is game 3 of the nine game road trip. A road trip filled with potential playoff clubs jockeying for position. The Oilers can't afford to take many nights off on this road trip. Anything less than .500 on this road trip and they are likely cooked for the season. They are off to a good start by getting three of four points so far. The Blues will pose a different challenge for the Oilers than the Stars did. The Blues still have the big bodies but have the younger legs and more rounded defense group. The Blues are smarting from a 3-0 loss to the Black Hawks last night, so the Oilers should get an angry Blues club tonight.
- Blues are deeper and a better blend at this stage of the game. Oilers are starting to get a little production from the bottom end of the order which is a good sign.
- Pietrangelo and Shattenkirk are two of the best young Dmen in the NHL. The Oilers defense is playing well in its own rights.
- Halak and Elliot have been inconistent for the Blues. Devan Dubnyk played well last night but has to deal with a back to back situation.
Special Teams Oilers
- Edmonton's PK and PP are 4th and 6th respectively. Blues PK and PP are 21st and 2nd. Oilers special teams have been keeping them in games.
- Ken Hitchcock is a tough matchup for any coach but he is still trying to find the pulse of his own club. Ralph Krueger is doing the most he can with his club.
- Both teams are playing in the 2nd half of a back to back. Difference is Blues play both games at home while the Oilers fly in from Dallas.
Game Time - 8 PM MT @ St. Louis on Sportsnet West.