IR - Taylor Hall, Ladislav Smid, Theo Peckham, Jeff Petry, Taylor Fedun, Corey Potter.
IR - Taylor Chorney, Curtis Hamilton, Kevin Montgomery, Kiril Tulupov.
- OKC is clipping along at a 43-19-9 record, the best in the Western Conference. A playoff spot is sewn up for them, if not home ice advantage throughout. OKC is riding strong defensive play and consistant goaltending. If Tom Renney is ever moved along from the Oilers, Todd Nelson should get some strong consideration for the job. The Edmonton Oilers sit 14th in the Western Conference and as of today, would own the 2nd overall pick, lottery aside. Only the Columbus Blue Jackets own a worse record. The Oilers have been playing out the string since January for the third season in a row.
Shopping list: Oilers
- Top 6 Power forward left winger - Since the re-signing of Hemsky came about, the need is still there but the way he shoots is now changed up. A LW is something that is an order, one that can win a puck battle, one that can stick for the kids when things get tough and one that can chip 20g a year. Maybe a Dustin Penner or Taylor Pyatt. I'd like someone more rugged but the UFA options are limited.
- Waterbug offensive Dman. The Oilers need a Dman that can provide some offense and push the pace with his legs and vision. Outlet passes have haunted the Oilers this season. One that shoots right would be ideal now that Tom Gilbert has moved along. Perhaps soon to be UFA Justin Schultz or drafting Mathew Dumba would solve this problem. Or even someone like Taylor Fedun returning to 100% would also help.
- Goaltender. Devan Dubnyk has emerged late into the season as a bonafide NHL goaltender, but I still feel he'll still need to be pushed by someone. Khabibulin has shown that the tires have fallen off his career for the 2nd year in a row. Has laboured badly in the 2nd half of the season. Josh Harding is the only soon to be UFA that would fit the bill here. Likely have to trade for this.
- 2nd Line right handed shooting center. Sam Gagner is currently this player, but the Oilers need someone a little more veteranized in this spot. Someone who will know his role and not get in the way of the kids all while doing the little things allowing the Oilers to stay in hockey games and be competitive. A player that can handle playing against tough competetion would be ideal. Former Oilers Jarret Stoll or Jason Arnott would fit the bill here.
- Bottom 6 Grit & Speed on the wings. The Oilers need a better forecheck game. A more dedicated empahasis on speed on the wings need to be fortified. Jordan Tootoo and Adam Burish would both look wonderful in an Oilers uniform.
Shopping list: OKC
- With Paajarvi and Lander being sent to OKC, this team looks ready to roll. Bryan Rodney was brought in to bring in some defensive depth. Yann Danis is returned to OKC after getting a cup of coffee with the big club. I look for good things from OKC in the spring. OKC struggle in the GF department but are rock solid in the GA column.