Friday, March 30, 2012
Pre-Game: Game #78 Oilers vs. Kings
Another day, another game against a team fighting for its playoff life. As for the Oilers, the Oilers are just trying to play out the string and start anew next season. Considering the Oilers have been out of the playoff picture since January, they must be commended on how they have been able to keep the work ethic high even though there has been very little to play for other than pride. The Oilers seem to have brought more consistant efforts throughout the last month, which is a sign that maturity is starting to show on this Oilers squad. Accountibility seems to be a little higher. After the Wednesday night loss to Dallas, the Oilers seemed pretty disappointed in their effort, which didn't seem that poor, just a lack of execution, but its a good sign that they are taking ownership of their play and losing is starting to become unacceptable. They have a ways to go in terms of on ice talent, but they need to implant in their heads that anything less than winning is not going to cut it. Even though the Oilers have had some success as of late, their team seems a bit miscast still. Not enough size in the top 6, not enough offensive ability from the backend, goaltending is still a question mark in my mind, as is the center play, as it comes and goes as it pleases. The Kings are coming off a 3-0 win against the Flames on Wednesday night. The Kings should be hungry to win tonight, they really need this game.
- The Oilers have a more high octane offense but the Kings have better balance.
- Kings have a good blend of puckmovers and physicality on the backend.
- Jonathan Quick's GAA is microscopic. (1.93)
Special Teams Oilers
- Should be a good battle between the Oilers 2nd ranked PP and the Kings 4th ranked PK.
- Darryl Sutter seems to have stabilized the Kings, getting them into the playoff hunt.
- Oilers can't seem to buy a win on home ice after being pretty good for most of the year.
Game Time - 7:30 PM MT @ Rexall Place on Sportsnet West.