Tuesday, October 18, 2011
Pre-Game: Game #5 Oilers vs. Flames
The Oilers are coming off a hard fought but well deserved 2-1 win over the Nashville Predators on Monday night. The Oilers willed their way to victory from a couple of nice plays plays that led to 2 third period goals. The Oilers also held the Predators to 13 shots. Ryan Whitney sounds like he'll either play tonight or Thursday against the Wild. The defense played so well last night that they might give all them another game and allow themselves to be cautious with Whitney. It will be interesting to see how they handle the goaltending situation tonight. Khabibulin was underworked with facing only 13 shots last night, and Dubnyk coming off a questionable game. They could go either way here, but I think they will continue the rotation and go with Dubnyk. The Flames are fresh off of a trip that took them to Eastern Canada, winning in Montreal but losing in Toronto. They are off to a 1-3 start and will be looking hungry tonight. The Flames have owned the Oilers over the last few years in Calgary. It will be a nother stren test for the Oilers and a chance to exercise another demon.
- The Oilers will win the forward battle a lot this season, they have a good blend of youth and experience, to go along with speed.
- This will depened on Whitney's health but Mark Giordano has come into his own as a top line Dman in the NHL.
- Not sure what we'll get with the Oilers goalending from game to game, not sure with Flames either, but I'll give the edge to the Flames' Kiprusoff.
Special Teams Oilers
- The penalty kill has been really good for the Oilers so far this year. The power play is starting to establish itself as well with the kids on it.
- As long as Tom Renney doesn't overcoach this game and dresses enough beef, this is a very winnable game for the Oilers.
- Flames have a lot to prove tonight and the Oilers will have to weather the early storm.
Game Time - 7:30 PM MT @ Calgary on Sportsnet West.