Saturday, October 22, 2011
Pre-Game: Game #7 Oilers vs. Rangers
It's only Game #7 and already Tom Renney is providing the media with enough controversy. Will Ryan Nugent-Hopkins play tonight? I can't see how he doesn't but at the same time the Oilers do need to get Sam Gagner back into the lineup, if for any reason, to get Gagner back some value around the league. I understand why they would replace RNH with Gagner in the lineup. It's because they essentially do the same things on the ice, problem is RNH is so much better at it. The Oilers are also feebly short on RH shots, which is crippling the power play right now, with Hemsky hurt, Eberle is the only RH shot in the lineup at forward. Gagner would help in that facet being a RH shot. It will be interesting to see who rides the pressbox tonight, because I figure Sam Gagner is ready to play. Honestly, I'd give the short straw to Omark tonight and give Gagner a net-crasher spot on a line on the wing. He'd be miscast there but I wouldn't put him back at center, not now. I expect Dubnyk to be back in net continuing with the rotation theme. EDIT - Khabibulin gets the start tonight.
- Richards and Gaborik will be a handful for the Oilers Dmen tonight.
- The Oilers defense has played well all year and Whitney is now finding his stride.
- The Oilers will be going against another elite goaltender in Lundqvist, goals will be once again hard to come by.
Special Teams Rangers
- The Oilers power play needs to pick it up. The goals have really run dry over the last few games.
- The Oilers with last change will be able to get the Horcoff line against the Richards line.
- The Rangers are in the midst of a long trip while the Oilers have to be hungry to get a win tonight. If they lose it could get ugly in the media.
Game Time: 8PM MT @ Rexall Place on CBC.