Wednesday, December 7, 2011
Pre-Game: Game #28 Oilers vs. Hurricanes
This is game 5 of a 6 game homestand where they have struggled to a 1-2-1 record through the last 4 games. Life preserver still isn't here. The Oilers are struggling to tread water now. They are battling their backsides off, but they are grossly undersized at forward and very immobile on the backend. Things that we saw last year are starting to creep into this team's game. Unable to sustain pressure, leading to more shots faced by Khabibulin and Dubnyk, meaning they are starting to wear down. It's a slippery slope and once the damage has been done, its hard to go back, unless the Oilers want to go through 8 goaltenders this year. I must say, its tough to watch knowing we've been down this road before, knowing exactly where it leads, knowing that nothing is going to be done about anything until the offseason. All we can hope for now is another injury to Gagner and/or Hemsky (or turn into power forwards) to reset the balance of the forwards. Or perhaps Ryan Whitney finds his stride again, or Jeff Petry all of the sudden "gets it" game in, game out. This team is going to need an epiphany from someone that matters. Carolina comes into this game losers of 7 in a row. Lost last night 7-6 to Calgary. I wonder what will happen if the Oilers lose this one? Probably nothing.
- Eric Staal has the worst plus/minus in the NHL, 'nuff said.
- The Oilers' D is struggling, but the Hurricanes have some chronic underachievers manning their blueline.
- I'll give the nod to Khabibulin but he is starting to show cracks.
Special Teams Oilers
- Hurricanes are 28th on the PP and 26th on PK. Oilers have slipped to 15th on the PK.
- Kirk Muller will get his team playing hard. Tom Renney needs to figure out his lines.
- Hurricanes played last night in Calgary. Edmonton hasn't played since Saturday.
Oilers: (my version)
Game Time: 7:30 PM MT @ Rexall Place on TSN.